Monday 20 May 2013

Credit Check


Whenever you want to get anything at all in the UK you have to go through a credit check, which is fair enough in one way, companies have to make sure you have the means to pay off whatever it is you want if you're not paying it all in one lump sum, but it does make it a bit difficult when you've only just arrived in the country.

They ask for an address, if you haven't lived there for at least 3 years they ask for the address before that. If you haven't lived at those two addresses for 3 years combined it's going to get difficult. I can't help thinking it's a bit discriminating to people that have just moved to the country since they usually want a UK address. With most things so far I have managed, but I did try to apply for a payment plan the other day and failed, and I'm sure it's because I haven't lived at only 2 addresses the last 3 years.

They also wanted a UK landline phone number. Why would I get a landline? (we are actually getting one in a couple of weeks but that's besides the point) I can manage just as fine with just my mobile. If it hadn't been for Joe I wouldn't be getting a landline at all, he's the one that wants it. I don't get why I need a landline number for a credit check anyway. I've never been asked for one before, they've been happy just getting proof of address and (luckily) my old Norwegian address. Oh well, I'm guessing that's why this credit check didn't get approved at that point, which seems silly since I've been approved on all the others so far.

Why can't they just take your bank details to make sure you have the funds or call your work to make sure you've got a job and is earning enough money? I don't really see the point in having to have had an address in the UK for three years or having to have a landline! It just seems a bit silly. And rather discriminating to people that have just arrived in the country. Are we not supposed to be able to pay things off monthly? Or rent a house/flat?

They also asked how long I'd been working in my current job. I'm sorry but what if someone has just changed jobs? Are they all going to fail the credit check because they've not worked in their current job for at least a year?

The credit check I didn't get approved for wasn't a big deal though, I was kind of thinking I wouldn't get approved anyway but it was worth a try as I could have gotten some expenses divided monthly instead of having to pay it all straight away. 

You don't find out why you've failed the credit check though, the company just get a yes or no answer. So at least there is some comfort in the fact that the company doesn't know why you've failed the credit check. Or is it a comfort? Wouldn't it just be better if the company knew that it was just because of not having stayed at one address long enough, or not having been in the current job long enough? That way maybe they could sort it out anyway? 

"I can see here that the only reason you didn't get approved is because you don't have a landline/a UK address for 3 years so we'll sort that payment plan out for you anyway as I can see you're able to pay it off"

Wouldn't that be better?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...