Wednesday 8 August 2012

Paris - Day 3. Eiffel Tower, Montmartre and Notre Dame

J and I went to the Eiffel tower Saturday. We got there about 10 minutes after it opened and the line was crazy long! There was one really long line and one short line, but we thought the short line was for people that had pre booked their tickets or something, although thinking about it afterwards I think it might just have been for the people that took the stairs up to the second floor. We did take the stairs down from the second floor though, and I have to say I'm glad I didn't take them up! I would have needed at least one bottle of water for the walk!

We went all the way up to the third floor. The view was great, from all three floors. Although, of course you see more the higher up you get.


After the Eiffel tower we headed to Montmartre. D had told us yesterday that there was a walking tour at 2pm, starting near Moulin Rouge and ending at the Cafe from the movie Amelie. The people leading the tour was supposed to be wearing red shirt and "we couldn't miss them". Well.... You know how when you're looking for someone is wearing red, EVERYBODY is wearing red?! Well that was the case with J and I while we were waiting outside the Moulin Rouge. We waited outside the Moulin Rouge for a while without seeing anyone looking like they were doing a tour, so in the end we got a map from the mini-train-tour and we did our own walking tour of Montmartre.
The cafe from Amelie, Cafe des 2 Moulins, turned out to be right around the corner from the Moulin Rouge. I couldn't remember the name of the cafe from the movie, we just headed inside to see what they had to eat and I recognised it immediately. We didn't eat there though, J and I are both vegetarian and they didn't have any options for us.
I loved the feel of Montmartre, it's really chilled and Bohemian even though it's really busy and touristy at the same time. There were loads of people doing caricatures, and loads of cosy little shops and patisseries.
We also went to Sacre Cœur, it was amazing to see from the outside, we were going to go inside but we weren't really dressed appropriately and, although we did see other people in short shorts going in and out, we didn't want to be disrespectful.
While J was having a rest after out busy day I headed to Notre Dame. It's one of those things I just HAD TO see in Paris. It was even more beautiful than I had imagined from the outside. There was a park outside it which was beautiful and just perfect for hanging out in, and there was a playground for the kids, there was even free WiFi there! 




The line to get in was long, but it moved quickly and since the Cathedral is so big it didn't see crowded once I got inside. It was free to get into the Cathedral, You only have to pay to go upstairs, which is a different entrance, which I didn't do as it was closing in a short time.

Notre Dame was beautiful inside as well, and so BIG! There was a mass or something going on inside, it was pretty amazing to walk around this really old Cathedral and actually listening to something going on even though I couldn't understand it.
When I got back from the Notre Dame we decided to head out for dinner and to maybe sit down by the Eiffel Tower again with some wine. We decided to start out with taking a few pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower again. We saw a bunny sitting in front of the Eiffel Tower, I don't know who it belonged to, didn't look like many people except tourists were keeping an eye on it. Maybe it was on holiday.
There was a guy performing as Michael Jackson in front of the Tower as well. He was actually really good.
It was a good idea we wet to take some pictures before food as it started raining while we were there so that ended our plan of sitting there with some wine. It was kind of funny seeing the very full lawn suddenly empty in 10 seconds as soon as the rain started.
\We found a restaurant close to the Eiffel Tower for dinner, I had some extra money left and decided I wanted to treat myself, but as it turned out the prices wasn't actually that bad! 

1 comment:

Look Mummy No Hands said...

great photos and story - love the rabbit and the tower

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...