Thursday 6 January 2011

Aloha Oe

I'm trying to learn how to play the Ukulele. I got one for Christmas and it would be really fun to actually be able to play it.

The first problem: tuning The ukulele. I was going to get an automatic tuning box when I played the guitar a few years ago, but never got around to it. And I don't have enough patience to tune it by ear, although I should be better at doing this as I studied music for 3 years.

First problem solved: I found a free tuning device on the internet, I have to sit by the computer while I'm tuning it, but that's fine. If you want to download the free AP Tuner you can do so here.

Second problem: playing it. I did get a book with the ukulele and I know there are loads of videos on YouTube, but I don't like to just watch and learn, I want to sit down with someone that teaches me how to play, so I can get corrected if I do something wrong. It's so much easier.

Third problem: I don't know if there's any room in my brain to learn how to play another instrument. I used to be very good at learning new instruments when I was studying music, but I've not had much interest in music after I finished, so I've kind of just repressed everything I learnt during those three years.

If I were to sit down and play the guitar, piano, clarinet or flute now, I would have to relearn loads of it. I don't think I can remember a single chord on the guitar right now. I might remember how to do a regular C-scale on my E-flat clarinet and possibly the flute. I don't believe the piano should be too much of a challenge if I sat down by it, but I would be very slow.

It's a little bit embarrassing to admit to all this, but it's my own fault for not regularly playing any of the instruments for about 6 years.



Let's hope I learn how to play and don't just let it lie somewhere and collect dust.

2 comments:

That Dog Dancing Guy said...

Maybe set some challenges and goals that you have to aim for whilst learning :D

Unknown said...

Yeah, just need to think of some :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...