Monday 10 January 2011

Language barrier?

Some months ago, before the snow came, I was getting the ferry back home from Molde, which is the nearest city, when this lady came over with a baby in a pushchair. I have later found out the lady is an asylum seeker. Anyway she came over to me:

Lady: I no car, no money for bus. You help? You please drive me to town?

Me: I'm sorry, but I don't have a car either.

Lady: Please, I no money.

Me: I would love to help you but I'm riding a bike, there's no way I'm able to give you a ride.

Lady: I no car. I no money for bus.

Me: I'm sorry, you need to ask someone else, I can't help you.

At this point she was giving me the full on evil-eye. I'm not sure if she just didn't understand me or if she thought I was lying.

The discussion went on for another couple of minutes with both of us pretty much repeating ourselves, until she gave up on me and moved on to someone else. I would have given her some money for the bus if I had had any cash on me, but I only had the ferry fare. The lady kept giving me the evil-eye every time she walked past me, which since it's a 35 minute ferry-ride was quite a few times.

At last I could get of the ferry, I went over to my bike and unlocked it and I saw the lady getting of the ferry as well. I thought I would see some understanding in her eyes when she saw me get on my bike, but she was still giving me the evil-eye. I'm sorry, but what was I supposed to do? Have her on the back while she was dragging the pushchair after?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...