Friday 2 March 2012

The highest tide


The highest tide
Jim Lynch

Outer back cover: When thirteen-year-old Miles O’Malley discovers a rare sea creature one unforgettable night, he unwittingly becomes a local celebrity and is hounded by TV crews urging him to explain the phenomenon. But Miles is just a kid on the verge of growing up, infatuated with the girl next door, worried that his bickering parents will divorce, and struggling to keep his world in tact.

The beginning of this book was really boring I though. There was too much detail for me to think it was interesting. It was also a bit hard because although I think sea life is interesting I don’t know a lot of the names for stuff, especially in English. I googled some things but there was just so much that I gave up in the end and just focused on the story.

The book got a bit more interesting after a few chapters. The whole sea life side of the book was interesting, and the next time I’m on a beach I will probably stop and look a lot more because of this book, but what happened with the sea life was a bit over-the-top to be believable. My favourite parts of the book were the parts with Miles best friend, an old lady named Florence with a degenerative disease; she was a very interesting old lady.

I think maybe this would be a good book for older children and young teenagers that are already interested in sea-life, just so they can read more about it but in a story rather than a textbook.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...