Tuesday 28 June 2011

Breast cancer.

The first time someone very close to me got breast cancer, I didn't know about it until a few years later. He's fine now, luckily they caught in in an early stage, because he insisted that they cut him open and got it out. The doctors didn't think it was cancer. Neither did he, but he didn't like the feel of that lump, so he insisted they got it out. It's when the doctors got it out that they realized it was cancer. And yes, that's right, it was a HE! So guys, remember to check your chest for lumps, it might be more common in women, but you can get it too! It's 100 times more common in women than men... But if you think about how many people are in the world, 100 isn't a lot...

The second time someone very close to me got breast cancer was today. Or at least she got told about it today, then she told me. This time there were no lumps. It was in the tissue or something. So ladies (and gentlemen), get your breast checked properly, regularly and don't just feel for lumps yourself and think it's okay if you can't feel any... Sorry, don't mean to scare you, just want you to take care.

The doctors are positive about it though. It's in an early stage, and they've not rushed her back to the hospital to have surgery. I think she said she was going to have surgery next week. They were also going to do some more tests to see how much needed to be cut out or something... And she's gong to get laser treatment. But the doctors didn't say anything about chemotherapy... She didn't think to ask about it either though... I guess when you get news like that you can't really think of everything at once...

I feel bad about going to Australia and leaving her after getting this message... And I feel like a bad person for still wanting to go to Australia and leave her... Of course I will keep in contact, and if she does get worse then I will probably come back to Norway as soon as possible. Of course I hope she doesn't get worse!!! I try to stay positive. It's hard...

I hate how common cancer is!

Everyone, no matter if you're male or female, please check yourself and be aware of any signs of cancer, not just breast cancer, but all other types as well. The thing that scares me most is how some people don't worry about getting it. As if they're immune or something.

Expecting life to treat you fairly because you're a nice person, is like expecting a bull not to charge at you because you're a vegetarian.

If you have one of the few (I hope) doctors that are difficult when it comes to testing: INSIST! It's your body! It's your LIFE!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I have a mammo appt next month. Yuck.
Have a great week

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Thank you so much for hilighting that men also can and do get breast cancer. The latest news here in England is that spending 3 hours in the sun every day reduces our risk of breast cancer by 40% - I wonder.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...