Thursday 9 June 2011

Midnight sun

Do you remember I had to post an old photo on the sunset day because the sunset is so late now?

Well I was walking home from work last night, at 11.30pm, and the sun was just setting.

It was still really light outside, almost as light as it is in the middle of the day.


I can remember some years ago, I was probably 15 or 16 or somewhere around there. We were having a party at the beach along with the neighbors. I can't remember what month it was, but it was in the middle of summer, probably mid July. Anyway, I can remember us all watching the sunset at around 2am!!

So in a way we kind of do get midnight sun here, because the sun doesn't set until after midnight, but unlike further north, it does actually set sometime during the night here.

One of my cousins work on Svalbard.
She says she doesn't mind the winter months, when there's no sun at all for about 6 months, but she hates the 4 months of summer when the sun won't set at night. The reason being it's hard to go to sleep when it's so light out. The brain won't register that it's night. It never gets completely dark enough inside either even though she closes the curtains, and even hangs a blanket as well in front of the window.

I would love to go further north to experience the midnight sun, but just as a holiday, as I like my sleep to much to work in a place with midnight sun for 4 whole months.

1 comment:

Look Mummy No Hands said...

Lilly - I'm not sure in your travels if you've been in a sub-tropical climate. I promise you Queensland will be much, much different. Sunset happens quickly - even in summer in Queensland, it's dark by 7pm (ish). Further south, say in Victoria, maybe 9pm, but here, you'll find it very different.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...