Sunday 1 April 2012

Vegetarian vs Carnivore

Living with the carnivorous host family again after I turned vegetarian was a lot easier than I expected. 

I was worried that I would want to eat meat again when I prepared their meals with meat and that I wouldn't be able to resist. But it actually went very well. There was one time I cooked bacon, and it smelled really nice, and I knew it would taste really nice as well, but I did manage not to eat it. I can be stubborn when I want to.

Other than the bacon episode it was really easy. When I cooked I just made the same meal for me as for them most of the time, but made my portion meat-free, or I sometimes made vegetarian meals for all of us. 

Something I noticed was that the family eats A LOT of chicken. Chicken salad, roast vegetables with chicken, chicken and pasta. I usually then boiled an egg instead of having chicken. 

The thing is, I think part of the reason it was so easy for me to stay vegetarian was because I made all the food. I made it for everyone, whereas when I go back to Norway I'll only have to make my own most days. And I think I will be a lot lazier. It's easier to cook something properly when you're cooking for other people as well. I hope I will be able to cook a proper meal for myself, but I know from previous experience that I usually just make myself eggs on toast or something like that, I only make a proper meal if I'm cooking for other people or if I really feel like it. But we'll see. I'll have to finish my time in Australia first. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Sounds a lot like my house. My oldest daugther is a vegetarian. Do you parents bug you about eating.. sometimes its a struggle for me but I realize that she is trying to eat healthy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...