Saturday, 2 March 2013

First few hours in the USA

So I am currently on US soil! Arrived yesterday.

The plane over was fine. I flew with SAS. One thing I didn't like though was that I couldn't choose when to start a movie on the screen in the seat back in front of me, I had to just hope to be lucky and get the start of a movie if I wanted to watch, which is a shame because there was a lot of movies that I would have wanted to see! But I just read a book instead, and finished it. Apparently you only need about 7 hours to read "The Lucky One" by Nicolas Sparks. Good book.

We had to stop in Newark to go through customs and immigration. I only had about 2 and a half hours there so I was really nervous that I wouldn't make my next flight, there was no clock on the wall and you weren't allowed to turn your cellphone on, which  I think was a bit silly... I mean, if you have to stand in line for an hour and a half you should at least be allowed to turn your cellphone on so that you can tell people you might be late, or play games on it to make time pass.... I did see the New York skyline from the queue though, which was amazing!

When I finally made it through the immigration line I had to get my suitcase out and check it back in, which no one had told me about but there wasn't really any other choice at that terminal and it was quick and easy. Then I had to change terminals, walk through security again and then find my gate. Luckily everything after immigration was quick and easy, and I made my flight with like maybe 15 minutes to spare, I had time to nip to the toilet before I got on. But I didn't like having to stress so much, I was only just starting to relax as we were landing in Boston.

My suggestion if you have a lay-by, or whatever it's called, in America when coming from a different country, make sure you have at least 3 hours just so you don't have to stress!

When I landed in Boston I had to go to a different terminal than the one I landed in to get some dollars, it wasn't too bad though as the next terminal was within walking distance of the one I landed in.

I hopped in a taxi, had to pay $7.50 for tolls plus the regular fare but it was fine, and arrived at my hotel.
Yellow school bus!!!
I had some time to freshen up before meeting with my friend Anne which was really nice as I felt all yucky from the plane.

Now, my friend Anne.... We've known each other for about 10 years but we'd never met until last night! It was really weird to meet her face to face. One thing was that even though I've never really imagined what I thought she sounds like it was really strange to finally hear her voice!! After a short while though it was as if we were just having a catch-up and that it was completely normal for us to meet up. I'm looking forward to hanging out with her even more. Although we talked so much my throat is sore!

We went to this restaurant called FiRE+iCE, you just choose the food (pasta, veggies and meat) that you want and they cook it right in front of you! It was really tasty! Only minus is that the music was so loud we had to constantly shout to hear each other. I can understand why the music would be loud downstairs in the bar area, but upstairs in the dining are I think they should have turned it down a little bit.

Because it was quite late once we finished dinner (especially when I'd been flying for so long just following the sun) we just arranged where to meet later today before I headed back to the hotel and went to bed.
I'm looking forward to exploring more of Boston now in the daylight!

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...