Sunday 17 July 2011

Betrayal

Book number 10 in the 100+ reading challenge!!

Betrayal (Svik)
by Karin Alvtegen

This is the first book in the challenge that I've read in Norwegian, Svik is the Norwegian title of the book. It's actually written by a Swedish author, but it has been translated to English as well if you're interested in reading it. I haven't got a picture or the description from the outer back cover because I left t book in the seat pocket in front of me on the flight to Brussels so that maybe someone else could enjoy it, but I will tell you what it was about.

The book is about a married couple: Eva and Henrik and a young man named Jonas (the names may be different in the translated editing, like Henry instead of Henrik). Eva and Henrik's marriage has not been going well for a while, one day Eva finds out Henrik has been cheating on her and she decides to get her revenge. Jonas has been sitting by Anne's bedside for over two years, and he is disappointed that she won't wake up, he feels betrayed by her, again. Then one day the paths of Eva and Jonas cross by accident.

I started reading this book in my 8 hour wait at Oslo Gardermoen airport. The start was a bit slow and I put the book down and wandered about the airport a few times, but as I got a few chapters into the book it became really interesting and I almost couldn't put it down (I managed to finish it before my flight).

It was almost a bit scary reading this book as there was so much hatred and twisted "love" in it. Parts of it reminded me of The Talented Mr. Ripley. Like in Mr. Ripley I had no idea how the book would end.

I can't say I liked the personality of any of the characters, but I found Jonas the most interesting. My opinion about him kept changing as the book evolved. I don't want to give too much about him away as I loved to discover all the aspects about him on my own as I was reading the book, and I don't want to take away the pleasure of that for anybody else.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...