Sunday 28 August 2011

After au pairing....

I know there is still some months to go before I need to worry about this as I'm working as an au pair until early January, but I'd rather start thinking about it now so that I might know what to do when the time comes to decide.

I want to travel after au pairing, and I WILL! But the thing is, I also need to have worked for at least 3 months in a regional area if I want to apply for a second Working Holiday Visa, which I might.

But I can't just go and work as an au pair for three months in SA or whatever, it also has to be specified work, like fruit harvesting or something, and it has to be full-time 3 months, meaning if I get a part-time job for 3 months I need to work for another month or whatever to get the required amount of hours....

I've been thinking about going south and then up the west coast as it's summer when I finish being an au pair. With a trip to Uluru as well at some point, and Cape York when winter comes again, maybe right before my visa expires (depending on whether and when I get the second visa).

What I'm considering doing at the moment is trying to find my next job before I finish as an au pair, but make sure I've got a month or something before I need to start it, then use that month to travel. Maybe get a hop-on-hop-off buss pass and just stop several places on my way to where my new job is, so maybe get a job in Perth or something so that I get to see loads before I get there...

I know that on a working holiday visa I'm not supposed to focus on the work as I'm only supposed to work to finance my travelling, but I just want to keep the option of getting a second visa open which is why I need to focus a bit on the working bit. I'm saving most of my money from au pairing and I've got a fair bit of money on my Norwegian account so I can definitely afford to travel, it's just the second visa like I said...

I would also love to do some volunteer work while I'm down here, but I think that will have to wait until I know I've got those 3 months sorted.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Looks like You've got some planning to do ~ I know that you will make the best of it.
It's great that you would like to do some volunteer work as well. Busy girl!
Hope you are having a great weekend.

That Dog Dancing Guy said...

hmmm.. would the regional work count if you were working in Alice Springs or Tenant Creek in the NT?

Unknown said...

Well it does say all of NT Kevin, so it should do.... It's just finding the right type of job....

That Dog Dancing Guy said...

My brother and dad own and run a caravan park in Alice Springs and a motor inn in Tennant creek. If you were interested I could ask them about some work for you. They are always looking for good staff. :)

Unknown said...

Unfortunately that doesn't fall under the specified work, I just called immigration to check. Because it has to be BOTH specified work AND in a regional area... Australian government doesn't want to make it easy for people... But it sounds great, thank you, and maybe I could do that if I get my visa extended?

That Dog Dancing Guy said...

Yeah of course, Just let me know how you go and I can ask :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...