Saturday 13 August 2011

Touch is a powerful thing

Did you know that a newborn baby, especially a premature one, can't survive without skin-to-skin contact?

I was reading Kaby's post "touch" earlier today, you should read it too! It was a really moving post, I actually got tears in my eyes, and it made me think about how powerful a touch can actually be. It can say more than words, facial expression or other body language.

The touch from the right person can mean a lot. It doesn't even need to be a person you know.
A touch from, or just a brush against, the person you have a crush on, or someone you think is cute, sends sparks flying all through your body and sets off all kinds of thoughts and feelings.
A pat on the back can be supportive before a test or a competition or something like that.
A touch on the shoulder, stroke on the head or a hug can comfort and console when you're feeling down or you've hurt yourself.

But there are also negative feelings connected with a touch, and I don't just mean the abusive ones.
Someone's touch might creep you out and make you shrug away from their touch. Because you don't know the person, because of how they touch you, or what kind of words or body language accompanies the touch, or just because you don't feel like being touched.
A touch can convey hatred.

I liked Kaby's post better.... More positive, in a way.

What would we do if we couldn't touch?

I am not a hugging person. When I have a boyfriend I love cuddling, holding hands, kissing, etc, but I'm not one of those people that keep touching people when I talk to them. I don't like the whole kiss on the cheek of people I've just met, I don't even do that to my close friends! They might get a hug, but I don't get the kiss thing.... Kissing is for couples.

Anyway. Sometimes I think it would be nice if I was more of a "touchy" person. They often seem more open and friendly. I guess it's just the way I was raised though, we're not a touchy family.

When I have kids I will shower them with hugs and kisses everyday, up to the point they are teenagers and embarrassed by me, and then I will do it even more! Maybe. I can't know that for sure until I actually get kids.

How "touchy" are you? What are your views on the whole touch subject?

1 comment:

Look Mummy No Hands said...

Your post is lovely, Lilly. We just focussed on different things. You'll laugh to know when I went tonight, I was holding Marion, Rosa, Silvana and my Mum. I'm learning their names. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...