Thursday 11 August 2011

The Pilot's Wife

My fourth book in the What's in a Name Challenge (life stage) and book number 16 in the 100+ Reading Challenge.

The Pilot's Wife
by Anita Shreve

Outer back cover: As a pilot's wife in the New England mill town of her birth, Kathryn Lyons has learned to expect intense exhilaration, occasional boredom and long spells apart form her husband - but nothing prepares Kathryn for the late-night knock at the door informing her that he has died in a crash.
Even before the plane is located in waters off the coast of Ireland, the tragedy becomes the subject of a media feeding frenzy. Could there be any truth to the bizarre, disturbing rumors that Jack Lyons led a secret life? Struggling with her grief, and fighting the urge to protect herself and her precious daughter from the mystery surrounding the crash, Kathryn is determined to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge may cost.

Another book I borrowed from my host family's bookshelf. I mainly picked it up because of the life stage in the title, wife, but it turned out I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. When I first read the title of the book I thought it would be set during WWII or something like that, but it's actually set in present time (or a few years ago rather).

The book kept changing between present day and Kathryn's past with Jack. It was really exciting to read about Kathryn's life as she found our about the crash and what happened in the days following and how she found out about what had happened. But I think I enjoyed reading about Mattie's reaction more, how she, as a teenager, reacted, acted and dealt with it. There were also plenty of surprises which kept me "on my toes" and I had no idea what would happen next.

Since I don't want to give away too much, all I will say about my favourite part of the book is that it's part of when Kathryn is in London.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...