Monday 28 May 2012

Individual Puff Pastry Apple Pies

My mum made puff pastry salmon for her and her partner for dinner today and forgot to put the rest of the puff pastry back in the freezer, so I decided to use it to make a dessert.

I found the recipe HERE, but I have written it again with metric measurement for those that prefer that, like myself.

Ingredients:
481 grams puff pastry
340 grams apples (two medium sized ones)
43 grams brown sugar
2 tsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg (beaten)


Thaw puff pastry according to instructions on package.
Peel, core and chop apples up coarsely.
Combine apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. I just juiced half a lemon and used all the juice from it, which was a lot more than the recipe states, but it made them very nice and fresh, and not too sweet.
Heat oven to 175 C
Flour surface lightly and cut pastry sheets into nine 8x8cm squares. I had 3 puff pastry sheets and managed to cut them into 12 squares, roughly the same size.
Place approximately 4 tbs apple mixture on each of half of the squares and brush edge with beaten egg. I didn't measure, just distributed it on 6 fairly evenly.
Place second pastry square on the top of the already filled pastry to form a pocket.
Press down border with fingers to seal and then press with fork to decorate the edges. It's the first time I've made anything with puff pastry, so I managed to tear them a little bit, but I think they turned out quite nice for the first time.
Make a 3cm L shape incision into each pie and fold back the pastry flap.
Place on un-greased cookie sheet and give each one an egg wash.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden.
They might not look very pretty, but they tasted lovely. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...